NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Thursday, June 25, 2009

    Two Icons.


    Thursday 6/25/2009 4:59:37 PM/ 16:59:37 PDT:


    "Two Icons"
    (Michael Jackson photo by Drew Cohen, Farrah Fawcett photo by Bruce McBroom, Pro Arts, Inc.)

    Just as I was reeling from the news of actress Farrah Fawcett's death, the news that Michael Jackson was rushed to the hospital, and at 3:30 PM, the confirmed news of Michael Jackson's death jolted me. Admittedly, I didn't always like the man- especially through the time that he was accused of molesting young boys- but I still liked the music, and some songs are my favorites, "Dancing Machine"; "ABC", with his brothers in the Jackson Five. I grew up watching the Jackson Five cartoon- in fact, every Saturday morning, I would be so excited just awaiting the next episode to come on.

    I had the chance to see Mr. Jackson over 20 years ago. Domino, a radio DJ from Power 99.7 (now Q100, WWWQ-FM ) in Atlanta, Georgia came by the Perimeter Mall (in northern Atlanta, outside the Interstate 285 Perimeter freeway), where I hung out at. All I had to do is say the radio's slogan backward, "Power 99.7 plays the best hits." I lost to the guy next to me, but had I won, I would've saw Michael Jackson at the Omni coliseum.

    Just as equally, I am saddened over the passing of Farrah Fawcett. When I was growing up in the 1970s, I practically drooled over the sight of Ms. Fawcett (and probably was hoping that Sasquatch- played by the late wrestler Andre the Giant- would kill her then-husband, Lee Majors. Just call it an "on-the-set accident".

    9:45:51 PM/ 21:45:51 PDT: I took a break from the Michael Jackson death story- one that continues to develop even at this late hour- to sell Street Roots on NE 15th and Alberta. I was going to sell at 5:00 PM, but at the time, I was busy learning more on the details of Jackson's death. I had sold four copies tonight, so the night wasn't a total loss, and I'm buying 20 copies of the new issue Friday, and begin selling.

    No comments: