NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Wednesday, April 05, 2006

    And We Look Up to These People?

    Last week, US Representative Cynthia McKinney (D-Georgia) was detained by Capitol Hill police after ignoring orsders for her to stop in the US Capitol security check poiint. She said that she was en route, in a hurry to a meeting, and couldn't stop. Of course, later, she said that her being black had something to do with them stopping her. (Oh, Cindy, Cindy, CINDY!)

    stark23x/YouTube

    Then just last night, a deputy chief of the US Department of Homeland Security, Brian Doyle, was arrested on suspicion that he was trying to lure a 14-year-old girl for unlawful carnal knowledge. Only the '14 year old' was actually a 20- to 30 something deputy sheriff out of Polk County, Florida. He did something stupid, yes. But what really makes me laugh (even as I have gritted teeth and clenched fists) is the fact that Doyle brazenly identified himself as a Homeland Security official AND when he was arrested, he was still trying to solicit the 'teen' on his computer.

    And now comes word out of good ol' Moscow/Amsterdam/Havana on the Willamette that our police superintendent, Derrick Foxworth is facing sexual harassment charges over an alleged sexual misconduct.

    And we look up to those people? These people who are supposed to protect us- in the cases of Doyle and Foxworth- and represent us (all three) are now in deep shit over actions unbecoming. Kind of makes me wonder if I should follow my mother's lead and return to the Jehovah's Witnesses faith, since these fools can't seem to keep their hands out of their pants, let alone use the race card (McKinney, not Foxworth...both are black like this blog's author). I can't say that I'm happy, nor can I say that I'm too surprised. I wonder if I've become somewhat too apathetic at times in trusting these lost souls with securing the city in which I've called home for almost 10 years (Portland), and the country in which I was born, raised, and lived in for all of my 39 years (as of this July) on planet Earth.

    No one is above the law (I have to sometimes remind myself of this, being the fine, upstanding citizen I am...). No one should expect specail treatment just because they're black, Latino, etc.; nor should they receive it even as they wear the uniform of the Portland Police Bureau- be it the chief/superintendent down to the officer on the street, or a federal (and in many cases, elected) official.

    In closing, let me say that the facts must be laid out. Conclusions must not be jumped to. All parties I've mentioned are innocent until proven otherwise, so although I'm tempted to say that Cynthia McKinney is a conniving, race baiting bitch; and that Brian Doyle is a lech leering at teen girls when he should be leering at al-Qaida instead, and that Superintendent Foxworth is being railroaded just because he happens to be an African-American in a position of power, I can't give into that temptation. Instead, I must do the same thing I ask of you- let due process play out. Let the guilty be found guilty, and let the innocent be acquitted.

    Copyright 2006, by Darren W. Alexander. All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: