NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Thursday, April 27, 2006

    CBS News Lands on Logo

    It looks like the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community will get their news on CBS.

    Tuesday, the Tiffany network announced that it's producing daily four minute newscasts that centers on GLBT issues. They're airing on the MTV Networks' Logo cable station (both MTV Networks and CBS are owned by Viacom).

    I don't know, but it kind of sounds like niche news to me...probably even "boutique", if you will. Newscasts centered around the GLBT community. I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm supportive of the idea. But I think that if CBS really wants to stand ironclad behind the GLBT population, it should include GLBT issues in its' main news broadcasts as well as on Logo.

    You know, this kind of reminds me of an idea I had thirteen years ago- of a gay/lesbian formatted radio station (I also had this crazy idea that Playboy should enter into the broadcasting business...should the White House, Senate, and House and the FCC fall back into Democratic hands, I think the Playboy idea will fly...I think...). Musaic that you would hear in the gay and lesbian clubs- you know, the hot, steamy. high NRG 150-200BPM (beats per minute) music. The kind that gets to your crotch and makes you want to...ahem, forgive me. Got kind of carried away. But seriously, I had this idea that there should be a radio station that catered to the GLBT audience. After all, I lived in Columbus, Ohio (born and raised), which in many ways is like San Francisco- it has its' own Castro, which is the Short North District (just north of the city center). Clintonville- a mostly white upper class district- is nicknamed 'Clitville', because of a good number of lesbians living there. I heard that German Village (just south of the city center) has a pretty good gay scene. Not to mention that the mayor is a Democrat (and first African-American to hold the post). So why not have a radio station there that's targeted toward the GLBT population?

    I think that it's still a great idea. Only, now, I'm in Portland, Oregon, where the GLBT community is even more active, and if you're a lesbian, it's paradise- even if it rains from October to say, March (I don't want to jinx this gorgeous weather we're enjoying right now...it's sunny and 70 in the Rose City...). I think Portland will wholeheartedly embrace a GLBT radio station.

    What do you think- of CBS News on Logo, or my crazy idea of having a GLBT radio station here in Portland- you guys in Columbus can chime in as well. In fact, since this blog goes out to an international audience, I'd love to hear from everyone. The comment box is always over. All opinions- pro and con- are welcome.

    No comments: