NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Tuesday, September 04, 2007

    Censorship Still SUCKS!

    In the over 280 entries I've written over the last two years, you've noticed that I use strong language in much of them. Some of it sexual; some even use racial epithets. In the latter, I only use them when appropriate (as in when I quote an article or news event).

    Now, some of you may be offended by such language. But I think I've made it clear from the get-go, this blog- and its' sister, The Trash Bash- are intended for mature audiences. Sure, if you're some 16 year old who happens to come across it, I can't stop you from reading them. However, mom and dad may want to keep baby's eyes away from this.

    Do I have a responsibility to be respectful? In many cases, yes.

    Am I a role model? If I am, then apparently, I'm either God or the Messiah. Other than that, I seriously doubt this.

    The reason I bring this up is because, eventually, podcasts- and on occasion, video podcasts- will be added to this scrawl. And some of this material will contain the very things that may offend a few folks- strong language; sexual content...perhaps a fight or two. If it offends you, well, let me paraphrase the words of a now ex-girlfriend: my blog's not the only one on the planet.

    I remember years ago- and I believe they still do this today- MTV said that Censorship is Un-American.

    Think about that for a second. Censorship is Un-American. It means no one should hold another's views back just because the offended person doesn't agree with the viewpoints. It's like myself- an African-American- telling a white supremacist not to spew his or her hateful vitriol, just because it offends me. Of course, it offends me, but do I need to lobby for laws to prohibit what's perceived as hate speech? Of course not, for such move to squelch such speech will likely cause them to lobby for laws to ban lobbying for civil rights. In the end, no one wins.

    Now, MTV years ago had this campaign, Censorship is Un-American. They were referring to, basically, the music and the lyrics, some which had strong language, and sexual talk. Some of the videos that aired showed violence, and scantily clad women. One question I asked was 'why stop at the scantily clad women?' Why not show the tits, ass, shaved pussy (or bushy pussy, or the pussy with the mohawk), and all? I surmised, in part, that something had to be left to the imagination, but the larger part of me asked that if MTV didn't believe in censorship, then why didn't they include the explicit lyrics, the blood and gore. Nudity, even? Why don't they show this today? Are they that afraid of the Federal Communications Commission- which basically plays police to broadcast radio and TV, but not so much cable and satellite media? Did the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction debacle (during the Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show) turn them into a bunch of pandering pussies?

    Are we, as a nation, that so goddamned squeamish over the showing of bare genitalia that we need the FCC to play parent; guardian, etc? Come on. That's not my idea of double dating. Bringing along a chaperone. The last time I checked, 40 year old guys such as myself don't need chaperones. Now, in some countries- China; Iran to name a couple- they keep their citizentries from getting information. In other words, people die for the freedoms we Americans; Brits; and Canadians take for granted. Sorry to disappoint you there. If you don't like diversity of ideas, move to any of the aforementioned countries, where freedom of speech and expression gets you decapitated.

    So, in closing, you will continue to get the same unfair, unbalanced- and uncensored- blog that you've enjoyed for quite some time, and over time, it'll continue to evolve into something better. So keep watching.

    Of course, if you're one of those offended Southern Baptist, Jehovah's Witness, or Islamofascist types, you're free to change the channel.






    (C)2007, by Darren W. Alexander. All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: