NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Friday, January 26, 2007

    So Far, So What!

    This Tuesday, January 30, Microsoft releases the latest version of their widely popular Windows operating system, Vista. It is reputed to be one of the most secure iterations of the 22-year-old operating system ever released.

    One of the features of Vista is an interface called Aero, which is more visually dynamic- according to Microsoft. Plus Windows Flip 3D, which is stacking open windows on the desktop three-dimensionally.

    So why am I NOT convinced? Yes, I'm tempted to give Vista a try, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like a knockoff of the Macintosh OS X. I know that Microsoft has to steal from the best sometimes, but does it have to look like...say, another version of the Mac? If so, why don't Microsoft just sell the Windows OS, all its codes and thing-a-ma-jigs to Apple and just get out of the operating system business. What I'm saying is that Microsoft should be thinking about originality, as they greatly stress innovation. Only they should start by not copying the other guys. They need to prove to someone like me- who sometimes uses Windows (though those days are gravely numbered, since I'm on the eve of buying a couple Macs this year)- that they are indeed the better of the numerous (operating) systems out there.
    That they are the most secure, the most dependable, the most sturdy of all OSes.

    All I see instead is another reason why Windows will continue to see its' 90-plus percent (of computer users) standing take a nosedive.

    (Before long, I'll likely see the first report of Vista being hacked...fine by me. I'll just stand by that 23-year-old Macintosh OS).

    Copyright 2007, by Darren W. Alexander. All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: