NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Friday, August 31, 2007

    So Now You're a Published Author...What a Media Whore, Darren!

    Or if you prefer, STAR FUCKER!

    I'm recovering from the inflated ego as I write this, for as of last night, I have added one more title to the hyphenate: published author.

    Last night, at First Congregational Church here in Portland, Oregon, about forty of us- including this shameless whore who's writing this entry- took part in a reading as part of the release of an anthology entitled Unexpected Metaphors. There are 87 pieces in this book, which is published by a wonderful group called Write Around Portland, which gives domestic violence survivors; homeless folks; low income people; people with mental illnesses; those suffering the scourge of HIV and/or AIDS; those who are incarcerated; and troubled youth the opportunity to write poetry; short story pieces; and even do a bit of art. A diverse group of people expressing themselves, unencumbered by challenges that society and personal challenges- be it chemical dependency or any other crisis she or he may face. A wonderful outlet, indeed.

    The workshop I attended this summer was facilitated by a wonderful young lady- No names, please. About seven of us took part in the workshop at Julia West House (I'll discuss this place at another time), where we had timed writings; and discussed each others' work. As with all the other workshops around town, we had to choose what we felt were our three best pieces, then submit them for critical review and approval (and, yes, feedback and destructive...er, constructive criticism, too...). In addition to the piece that got published, Venice on the Scioto (a trippy dream piece, if you ask me...you'll find it on page 125), I also submitted a catfight story. I felt that this was my best piece. It was cutting close to the 900 word limit though, and had language and sexual overtones in it. And with the youth in the audience- some who submitted stories- it had to be cut (that's okay, I'm turning that into what I hope will be a student film, or short film- filmed perhaps in New York). Another piece I submitted was one on a failing marriage, using wilted roses on the car's dashboard as a metaphor.

    Everyone who wrote the pieces keep the rights, which is real nice.

    Write Around Portland was founded in 1999 by Liza Halley and Ben Moorad. It is a nonprofit that is dedicated to transforming lives and building community. During the eight years of existence, WRAP has conducted over 270 workshops; with over 1700 participants. Unexpected Metaphors is the groups 24th anthology, and workshops are already forming for the fall, so obviously, there will be a 25th.

    Programs in Seattle- CAFE (Creative Art For Everyone)- and even New York City (New York Writers Coalition- have formed, as have programs in Arizona and Utah, with WRAP serving as a model. So, I'm proud to be part of a trendsetting program.

    So, now that I'm a published author, I can be a diva like Paris Hilton. My shit smells like roses now, and all of you mean nothing to me, LITTLE PEOPLE! SO THERE!
    NYAH-NYAH-NYAH-NYAH-NYAH!

    In all seriousness, though, I am very humbled and privileged- and definitely inspired- to continue writing. My main forte is screen writing (I seek to work in TV as well), so what this program has done- and will continue to do- for me (since I'll be attending another workshop, probably next spring) is spur me on to continue my endeavors. It has made, and will continue to make me a better writer (now if I could write better blog entries...it's that right brain trying to shut that left brain off thing...). I've had immense fun with this, and look forward to doing it again very soon.

    Of course, this is not the end all, be all. Even as I have a published piece, I have not yet reached the summit, per se. In all respects, I look at this as a beginning of even more greatness to come. More published pieces, including perhaps a novel or two. Definitely more screenwriting, and prose writing. Perhaps a play or two. There's no limit on how I can do this. All that's required is that I set my mind to achieve whatever goals I set; pursuing those goals and desires; and just keep getting better at what I do.

    This winter, for example and God willing, I'll be in New York City- yes, cold, snow and all- taking film making classes at New York Film Academy. I'm looking at the final 8-week course for 2007, which starts December 3, and by the time this course ends in late January 2008, I will have four produced student films. So this will be challenging and extremely fun. I look forward to this.

    So, if you don't believe yourself to be a writer, or even a creative type, let me tell you that nothing could be more further from the truth. Each and every one of us is creative in one form or another. It could be in the form of music; dance; writing; even spoken word. Everyone is creative. Everyone has potential for greatness. Everyone can do their part to make the world a better place, to love, at be at peace. To lift spirits.

    To create.

    Here in the Portland area, Unexpected Metaphors, and other WRAP anthologies, can be found at Powell's City of Books. If you live outside the Pacific Northwest, just go to the Write Around Portland website, which I have linked- just click on the title- and they'll tell you how you can obtain a copy.

    And when you do get a copy, make page 125 your first stop (Of course, my friend CJ White would like you to go this his first. So make page 89 the second stop...)

    (C)2007, by Darren W. Alexander
    All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: