NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Wednesday, August 29, 2007

    New Orleans- Two Years Post Katrina

    It was two years ago today when Hurricane Katrina, a powerful Category 3, paid a visit to the Gulf South, and wreaked havoc in the communities along southern Mississippi and southeast Louisiana.

    New Orleans was spared the brunt of it- or so it thought.


    mccraven333/YouTube

    In 1965, Hurricane Betsy ravaged the area. A clip from this can be seen by clicking here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TaA1k5VA-lI .


    Then in 1969, Hurricane Camille paid a little visit

    SeptembersCamera/YouTube

    New Orleans had hurricanes and tropical storms since then. When I lived in New Orleans (from February 2001 to June 2003), I've witnessed Tropical Storms Allison (June 2001); Tropical Storm Bertha (August 2002). Slidell, on the Northshore (of Lake Ponchartrain) was hit harder, while New Orleans hardly felt a drop. Then the back to back storms in September and October 2002. Tropical Isidore- or as I called him, Izzy- hit landfall northeast of New Orleans, but we got drenched nonetheless on September 26, 2002. Then a week later, Hurricane Lili, on October 3, hit landfall near Intracoastal City, Louisiana. But I remember vividly the wind-driven rainstorms I had to go through (I also remember the toothache I had the night before. I went to hospital. By the time I got my prescriptions at the St. Charles Avenue Walgreen's in the Lower Garden District, the rains of Lili had making their arrival).

    So the residents of the Big Easy believed themselves to be lucky. Some folks did evacuate. But those who lacked transportation- be it car; truck; SUV- had to fend for themselves.


    AndyMarquis/YouTube

    Of course, after the storm, finger pointing. Listen to Kayne West:


    aquaSlime/YouTube/NBC

    Then, Spike Lee and Bill Maher:

    KeiserMFSosay23/YouTube
    Then here's my future wife Ann Coulter (okay, I'm kidding, but here's my favorite Neo-Nazi blond, nonetheless):

    It doesn't get anymore raw that that.

    Two years later, neighborhood around the Ninth Ward, which had a large black population, is virtually nonexistent. The federal government, in the eyes of many, is still dragging its' feet, while the private sector, and well-to-do neighborhoods are recovering quite nicely.

    Some people ask if it's really racism, or just plain ignorance. You decide for yourselves what is going on in the Big Easy.

    (C)2007, by Darren W. Alexander
    All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: