NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Saturday, July 07, 2007

    Crisis of Conscience/Six Screens of the Watchtower

    I'm reading a book entitled Crisis of Conscience, by Raymond Franz. Franz is a former member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. His uncle, the late Fred Franz was president of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York; Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania; and International Bible Students Association (the corporate arms of the JWs) from 1977 to his death in 1992. The book, in many respects is pretty disturbing for those who may be or former are JWs, for it details the inner workings of the Watchtower organization from someone who's been in the trenches. I highly recommend it.

    Now, of course, I have a dog in this. I was raised in the faith, and my mother, two of my sisters, and young brother is still in the faith (myself and my baby sister are the only hold outs). Now, I still have some love for the group, for there were great memories from the fellowship I enjoyed. But, there were- and still are- many things I did not (and still do not) like about them. Their stand on joining the military and doing civil service (in Crisis of Conscience, there is a chapter called Double Standards that contrasted the happenings in the African nation of Malawi and those of Mexico in the late 1960s through the mid 1970s). Of course, the Witnesses do not vote; salute the flag (form of idol worship in their eyes); or celebrate holidays (pagan rituals). Of course, you won't see the Christian cross at their Kingdom Halls (they link the cross to the pagan god Tammuz, who is linked to sexuality, if I'm correct...).

    There is this website, the Six Screens of the Watchtower, created by a former JW, that explains the contradictions of this controversial group. It's a pretty interesting site, so take a look.

    Of course, if you want hear what they have to say on matters on Christianity; family life; etc., there's the nearest Kingdom Hall, or all around the country- including here in Portland (at Memorial Coliseum), there is the 2007 convention,
    Follow the Christ, going on in numerous locations in the US- including here in Portland- and Canada, and other parts of the world, as I write this. Make up your own mind on how you want to deal with it. Some join and convert- by Bible study; then baptism. Some say it's hogwash. You decide, if you so choose to go to one of these conventions or Kingdom Hall meetings.

    (Your humble correspondent, this blog's author, sneaked in on a talk a week ago. I only stayed until they did the song- called The Bread of Heaven, one of the JW songs I sang in my youth. I couldn't get out of there fast enough...).

    I know that after reading Crisis of Conscience, I never look at the JWs, or the Watchtower organization the same again.

    Copyright 2007, by Darren W. Alexander. All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: