NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Thursday, December 18, 2008

    Another Voice For the Separation of Church and Country Music

    For years- about ninety, to be exact- country music has given its fans tales of lyin', cheatin', lovin', and a little bit of fightin'. In the same vein, some gospel elements have come into play, and some great country hits had indeed gospel roots.

    But as of late, country radio has began to sound more like Christian radio, with songs such as Jesus Take the Wheel, by American Idol winner Carrie Underwood; The Long Black Train, by Josh Turner; and several others. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't country music and Christian contemporary music two different genres?

    If that's the case, then why is the line between the two being increasingly blurred?

    Bob Wire, of the blog New West, wrote a great entry last week about this blurring. You can read this by just clicking the title for the link.

    But the point is that I agree with Bob when he says that if he wants to hear Christian music, he'll seek it out. The same goes for me- though personally, I don't care too much for constant droning about how Jesus saves the great unwashed, such as myself (though, I supposedly gotten saved at an Atlanta mega church 21 years ago). I get the message!

    Just like Mr. Wire, I'm fine with country artists wearing their Christianity on their sleeves. Just when you sing about Jesus, please consider moving the songs to Christian music radio. I hear there's plenty of room there.

    Now listen to the late Paul Newman sing about his plastic Christ in Cool Hand Luke

    YouTube/Warner Bros./Miksterious

    Let's keep Christian music out of country radio. To be honest, I prefer to hear more fightin', cheatin', lovin' til the morning songs on the two country stations here in Portland, KUPL 98.7 and KWJJ 99.5 The Wolf.

    (C) 2008 by Darren W. Alexander. All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: