NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Tuesday, November 07, 2006

    Vote Like You Were Dying

    Today, true believers, is Election Day. This means that many Americans are out at the polls voting for the candidates who they believe are best for the responsibilities of taking care of their states; cities; congressional and senatorial districts, and other offices.

    Now, for the record, I voted weeks ago- I live in Oregon, which is a vote by mail state. I'll tell you how I voted, and why I voted the way I did in one of my other blogs, "The Week in Brief". I'll also give you the results of the races and ballot measures here in Oregon and a few other states.

    But let me tell you why I believe that you should go out and vote today.

    For years, I've been hearing people bitching about the officeholders and measures they don't agree with. I sak these people, "did you vote?" A good number of them tell me "no", then I ask why. Some don't believe that their voices count. Others believe that their candidate won't win no matter whether they vote or no.

    But to those naysayers, I tell them, "your voice does count". After all, if you don't vote, you have no right to gripe about why this candidate won, or why these measures passed. If only these people would just give up their apathetic attitudes and go out to the polls- or in the case of the states of Oregon and Washington- mail in their ballots (or send those ballots to authorized drop spots at such places like the county election headquarters, or even the public libraries). Even if the candidates of your choice don't win, or the measures you opposed passed (or vice versa- the measures you supported failed), at least you can rest easy knowing that you've used your voice at the ballot box.

    And if you're like myself, African-American, it's your responsibility to get out there and vote. No matter the weather- hey, we've been deluged by torrential rains the last two days here in Oregon and Washington. Still, a lot of us black folks are still voting today- or even if you're a bit infirm, get someone to help you get to the ballot box. No matter how long the lines, no matter how bad you're getting intimidated- and I've heard at least one or two reports of this (some incumbents will do dirty acts just to keep their office). And no matter how negative those political ads of recent weeks (a lot of black folks were pissed at the one lampooning Harold Ford, Jr., Democrat Congressman out of Tennessee, running for the US Senate against Republican Bob Corker. They saw it as racist. See my entry "How Nasty Can You Go? Let The Mudslinging Continue" by just clicking here at http://www.alexthegrinch.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-nasty-can-you-go-let-mudslinging.html). Just go out there. Vote. A lot of blacks have fought- and some even died- for this right to vote. Don't you dare take this right and responsibility for granted.

    May the candidate and ballot measure of your choice, win, but even if she or he doesn't, at least you can go to bed tonight knowing that you have performed your civic duty.

    No comments: