NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Wednesday, July 19, 2006

    Where Are You, Ron Saxton?

    About a week or two ago, I e-mailed a letter to the Republican candidate for Oregon governor, Ron Saxton. I asked him about his views about the rights of gay and lesbian Oregonians. Why I asked was because Basic Rights Oregon, the PAC for the LGBT community mentioned that Mr. Saxton has embraced the anti-gay folks at Oregon Family council; opposes civil unions; and further legislation to protect the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered residents of Oregon.

    I haven't heard from him yet.

    I know that Mr. Saxton is a busy man, campaigning for the big seat down in Salem, but come on, even busy people take time out of their schedules to answer e-mails. Or at least respond at simple questions.

    Right now, it looks like the lack of response from Mr. Saxton is what many call an admission of guilt. And unless he responds soon- and gives me a straight, no-bullshit answer on his views and why he thinks this way- I'm forced to wonder about his views on, say, civil rights; affirmative action. It also makes me wonder if Mr. Saxton, a Portland attorney, will be the governor of all Oregonians- or just those who happen to be rural, predominantly white, so-called Christian, and so-called conservative folks.

    Look, I'm not too wild over the idea of re-electing fellow Democrat Ted Kulongoski for another four years, but at least he's more likely to give me answers to questions I may ask- even if I don't agree with some of them. Still, right now, I'm leaning toward helping Kulongoski get re-elected.

    Mr. Saxton, you still have the opportunity to answer my e-mail. Otherwise, I'm forced to question your statements that you're a moderate.

    No comments: