NFTHE-Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    CNN.com

    ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports Widget

    Monday, May 16, 2005

    I'm Okay With Your Pro-Life License Plate

    I don't give a rat's ass about these Coca-Cola Christians displaying their 'Pro-Life' license plates. In fact, I'm fine with it. Display it! Shove it in my face for all I care!

    But this also means that I can dispolay my NARAL Pro-Choice license plates. Or my NORML license plate (considering that I live in Oregon, one of the nine states that allow medical marijuana. It sounds like a spiffy idea). If a person who's in NAMBLA (North American Man-Boy Love Association) wants to display a plate with the NAMBLA logo on it, I'm okay with that. Now, for the record, I don't like what NAMBLA does, but neither do I like what white (or black, or Latino) supremacists stand for either. But it's their right and perogative.

    The reason why I bring up the subject of license plates is that yesterday in the daily newspaper, The Oregonian (named thereafter Daily Dead Fishwrapper, or DDFW) had an article on license plates. There are three diferent types- the tree with Mt Hood in the background (the standard); Crater Lake; and Cultural Trust. For a new plate to be created, one has to be eliminated. (Note to Salem: get rid of that tree/Mt. Hood one. Or make it more colorful. And while you're at it, put seven characters on the plate...). I have a few suggestions:

    1. Have a picture of the late progressive Republican governor Tom McCall, with his hand up, telling people- particualrly that state just to the south of us that shall remain unnamed) not to set foot into our gorgeous state (they screwed up theirs with sky high prices and smog. Keep it down there!). On the plate: "Oregon- Don't Even Visit!"
    2. Another is our own Portlandia (our answer to the Statute of Liberty, I guess) smoking a bowl of weed, or shooting up heroin and/or meth. "Oregon- Amsterdam of America"

    One that would have worked had that ass backward Measure 36- the measure that basically bans same-sex marriage that passed a year ago- not passed, this plate would have worked: "Oregon- Marriage is Open to All!", with Mount Hood, and gay (two interlinked male symbols) and lesbian (two interlinked female), and opposite sex symbols flowing freely over it.

    Those are a few ideas I can come up with.

    Can you- particularly in the Beaver state- think of any ideas? I welcome your comments, either here, or at dwa97209@yahoo.com (also thealex03@netscape.net).

    Copyright 2005, by Darren W. Alexander. All Rights Reserved.

    No comments: